Come to Me — Grace Comes Before Discipleship
Matthew 11:25–30
Immediately after rebuking Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum for refusing to repent, Jesus turns to His Father in praise.
“I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned and revealed them to little children.”
The rejection of Jesus did not mean that God’s saving purpose had failed. Even in the midst of unbelief, Jesus addresses God as the Father and Lord of heaven and earth.
We See Because God Reveals
When Jesus says that these things were hidden from the wise and understanding and revealed to little children, He is not condemning learning or careful thinking.
The problem is not knowledge itself but confidence in our own wisdom.
The “little children” are not accepted because ignorance is a virtue. Rather, they picture those who receive what they cannot produce for themselves.
The truth of God’s kingdom is not something we conquer by intellectual ability. God must reveal it.
The deeper our knowledge of Scripture becomes, therefore, the less reason we have to boast.
Our prayer should increasingly become:
“Lord, let me see what You reveal.”
Knowledge is valuable, but knowledge must remain the servant of revelation, not its master.
We Did Not Discover God
Jesus continues:
“Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.”
Then He makes an astonishing statement:
“All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”
The Father knows the Son.
The Son knows the Father.
And the Son reveals the Father to us.
Christian faith is not the story of humanity finally discovering God through enough effort and wisdom.
It is the story of God making Himself known to us in Christ.
We did not find Him because we were wiser than others.
We see because He graciously opened our eyes.
Therefore faith gives us no reason to boast. It gives us every reason to give thanks.
Then the Son Says, “Come to Me”
The One speaking in verse 28 is the Son to whom the Father has entrusted all things.
He knows the Father and reveals the Father.
And this Son says:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened.”
This is far more than a comforting saying for difficult days.
The Son who reveals the Father calls sinners to Himself.
Jesus does not merely say, “I will show you a technique for finding God.”
He says:
“Come to me.”
At the center of the gospel is not a method but Christ Himself.
Do Not Fix Your Burden Before Coming
We often reverse Jesus’ invitation.
“When I become a little better, I will come.”
“When I overcome this sin, I will pray again.”
“When my faith becomes stronger, I will draw near to God.”
But Jesus says:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened.”
He does not tell us to remove the burden before coming.
The burden is precisely why He tells us to come.
We come with our sin, failure, questions, weariness, and inability.
And Christ promises:
“I will give you rest.”
Take My Yoke and Learn from Me
Yet Jesus does something surprising.
After promising rest, He says:
“Take my yoke upon you and learn from me.”
The rest Jesus gives is not a life without a Master.
It is life under a new Master.
We are delivered from the yoke of sin, self-righteousness, the need for human approval, and the exhausting attempt to justify ourselves before God.
Then we come under the gracious lordship of Christ.
Christian freedom does not mean, “No one rules over me.”
It means:
“Christ is now my Lord.”
“I Am Gentle and Humble in Heart”
Jesus does not merely tell us what to do. He tells us what His heart is like.
“I am gentle and humble in heart.”
This is remarkable because the One saying these words has just declared that the Father has entrusted all things to Him.
He possesses supreme authority, yet His heart toward weary people is gentle and humble.
We do not come to Christ because we have finally become worthy of Him.
We come because His heart is gentle toward those who need Him.
Grace Comes Before Discipleship
Notice the order of Jesus’ words.
First:
“Come to me.”
Then:
“I will give you rest.”
Then:
“Take my yoke.”
And:
“Learn from me.”
The order matters.
Jesus does not say, “Carry my yoke successfully, learn enough from me, and perhaps I will eventually receive you.”
He receives the weary first.
He gives rest first.
Then the one who has received grace learns to follow Him.
Grace comes before discipleship.
Obedience is not the price we pay to receive grace. It is the life that grows from grace already received.
“My Yoke Is Good and My Burden Is Light”
Jesus is not promising an easy life without suffering. Earlier in Matthew, He has already spoken about persecution, costly discipleship, and taking up the cross.
His yoke is good not because discipleship costs nothing, but because the One whose yoke we bear is good.
False religion says:
“Do more.”
“Prove yourself.”
“Make yourself worthy enough for God.”
The gospel says:
“Come to me.”
Christ receives the weary, gives them rest, and then teaches them to walk with Him.
Which Yoke Am I Carrying?
Sometimes we carry burdens Jesus never placed upon us.
“I must succeed.”
“Everyone must approve of me.”
“I must prove that I am a good Christian.”
“My ministry must produce visible results.”
“I cannot make mistakes.”
We can even do the Lord’s work while carrying a yoke of our own making.
Jesus does not call us to abandon faithfulness or responsibility.
He says:
“Take my yoke.”
We can be faithful without believing that everything depends on us.
We can serve without needing human approval.
We can obey without trying to earn the love that has already been given to us in Christ.
The Final Voice of Matthew 11
At the beginning of this chapter, John the Baptist asks a question from prison.
In the middle of the chapter, cities that witnessed Jesus’ mighty works refuse to repent.
Yet the chapter ends with an invitation.
“Come to me.”
Jesus does not say, “Come when all your questions have disappeared.”
He does not say, “Come when you have removed every burden.”
He calls us because we are weary and burdened.
We did not first discover God. God graciously made Himself known to us through His Son.
So we come again to Christ.
Not because we have finished learning, but because we need to learn from Him.
Not because we are strong, but because we are weary.
And we hear again the voice of the gentle and humble Son:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
댓글
댓글 쓰기